WWE Network’s next major update is coming, and will include tiered pricing, as well as offline downloads.
WWE Co-President George Barrios spoke with The Verge, and outlined updated subscription plans the company plans to roll out. The plans will include a free, regular, and premium version of the service, and will offer offline downloads.
The following plans were outlined.
- Free: This will offer the same free-to-watch videos you’d normally find on WWE.com. Barrios said WWE might also offer timed previews of paid WWE Network content.
- Regular: The standard WWE Network experience, combining free content with subscription benefits like live pay-per-views, on-demand streaming, and original programming.
- Premium: “We think there’s also an opportunity to super-serve our most passionate Network subscribers with a premium tier that’ll bring together more content for them, more features for them, and also integrating some of our other non-video services like our commerce — potentially integrating something like free shipping, bringing together our digital ticketing efforts in there. It becomes the one place to experience everything WWE.” Barrios didn’t disclose how much WWE might charge for the premium tier.
WWE Network will also include offline downloads, called “Download To Go”, which will allow subscribers to watch full-length pay-per-view events offline. No timeline was provided for the feature, but Barrios explain, “It’s prioritized on the roadmap.”
The latest update of WWE Network included a design overhaul, as well as shift from Disney owned Bamtech to Endeavor Streaming. WWE Network 2.0 utilizes HTML5, and can output up to 1080p. Previously the WWE Network offered content with a maximum resolution of 720p. The company has performed tests filming content in 4k, but has no immediate plans to include to make the switch.
Barrios also spoke on issues many subscribers had following the most recent update, stating “There are things that are missing, and those are going to come quick,”. Barrios explained that WWE’s digital team is working on getting bugs fixed quickly.
Although no exact date on launching the new tiers was provided, the company will be pleased if they can have everything ready by mid-2020. Barrios stated, “Even better performance, bring back the features that couldn’t be there at launch, bring new features like Download To Go, get both tiers up and running. If by next SummerSlam we’ve done all that, we’re going to feel awesome.”
Changes To Original Survivor Series Plans, Current WWE Universal Championship Match
WWE Survivor Series is approaching, and WWE has yet to announce a Universal Championship match.
This up-coming Friday on SmackDown, Daniel Bryan is set to appear on MizTV to give his thoughts on the attack from Bray Wyatt on last week’s episode.
According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer Radio, one plan originally had Bray Wyatt vs. The Miz at Survivor Series, with the angle beginning on MizTv the day after the Crown Jewel event. That angle was scrapped due to the traffic incident which held most of the roster overseas.
The current plan has Bray Wyatt defending the WWE Universal Championship against Daniel Bryan at the Survivor Series pay-per-view.
At one point, there was talk to have Daniel Bryan in the Triple Threat Match against AJ Styles and Roderick Strong. This would mean Daniel Bryan would defeat Shinsuke Nakamura for the Intercontinental Championship. Those plans have since been scrapped, and now Daniel Bryan is scheduled to work against Wyatt for the Universal Championship.
WWE Survivor Series – Current Match Card
- WWE Championship: Brock Lesnar vs. Rey Mysterio
- WWE Universal Championship: Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan (Not Announced)
- Becky Lynch (RAW) vs. Bayley (SmackDown) vs. Shayna Baszler (NXT)
- The Viking Raiders (Erik and Ivar) (RAW) vs. The New Day (Big E and Kofi Kingson) (SmackDown) vs. The Undisputed Era (Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly) (NXT)
- Shinsuke Nakamura vs. AJ Styles vs. Roderick Strong
- Team Raw (TBA, TBA, TBA, TBA, and TBA) vs. Team SmackDown (Sasha Banks, Carmella, Dana Brooke, Lacey Evans, and TBA) vs. Team NXT (TBA, TBA, TBA, TBA, and TBA)
- Team Raw (Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Ricochet, Randy Orton, and Drew McIntyre) vs. Team SmackDown (Roman Reigns, King Corbin, Braun Strowman, Mustafa Ali & Shorty G) vs. Team NXT (TBA, TBA, TBA, TBA, and TBA)
Backstage Reaction To CM Punk’s Return To WWE Programming
Multiple WWE Stars Give Thoughts On CM Punk’s Return
CM Punk made a surprise return to WWE programming this past Tuesday at the tail end of WWE Backstage on FS1.
Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful has received thoughts on the matter from numerous talent backstage.
Fightful Select reports that a longtime WWE name told them they have known CM Punk for a long time, and have not personally had any issues with him, despite hearing stories of him burning bridges. They indicated that if WWE doesn’t find a way to include him any Survivor Series festivities during the 4-day run in Chicago, they have “royally fucked up”.
Another top star indicated they would love to work with CM Punk in any fashion, whether that be inside or outside the ring. They stated, “someone like that, you can have a great story with, and where there’s a great story, the fans are happy and there’s (money), so I’m happy.”
One high level member of the WWE roster didn’t seem to care for CM Punk, stating “I have zero time for that guy. So no thoughts, no.”.
Almost everyone who responded feels that CM Punk will once again step back inside the squared circle.
CM Punk signed a deal with FOX to be a contributor for WWE Backstage on FS1. He has not currently signed to any deal with WWE.
Mia Yim and Aliyah Both Suffer Broken Noses During NXT Television
Two NXT stars suffered broken noses during last night’s NXT on USA episode.
Aliyah was busted open following a kick from Xia Li during last night’s episode of NXT on USA. She later confirmed she suffered a broken nose. NXT’s injury report also indicates she may have an orbital floor fracture as well.
— BOUJEÉ Aliyah (@WWE_Aliyah) November 14, 2019
Mia Yim suffered a nasal fracture following a ladder hitting her face during her match with Xia Li. NXT’s injury report also indicates she may have injured ribs as well.
— The HBIC (@MiaYim) November 14, 2019