A report has emerged following rumors that WWE’s brand split could be coming to an end.
WWE has been operating under a brand split since 2016, which was when SmackDown went back to being a live show with its own roster and exclusive pay-per-views. While the brand-exclusive shows ended back in 2018, WWE has continued the brand split with two separate rosters and championships.
Despite this, WWE has subverted the rule numerous times over recent years, with Vince McMahon introducing the ‘Wildcard Rule’ in 2019 which would see a set amount of Superstars each week given the ability to show up on the opposite show to the one they’re assigned to. This worked for a short while, however Superstars switching between shows now feels like a regular occurrence.
While rumours of the brand split coming to an end have been discussed for several years, talk of it increased following Roman Reigns’ double-championship win at WrestleMania 38. Reigns is officially a member of the SmackDown roster, however regularly appears on Raw to progress feuds he’s involved with.
Earlier this week, Bryan Alvarez noted during Wrestling Observer Live that the brand split was essentially over, despite WWE not stating anything officially.
“I mean they haven’t officially said anything, but the brand extension is essentially done. Half of the Raw crew is going to be on SmackDown Friday. Cody’s going to be there, I think Seth is going to be there. They’re just going to do whatever,” Alvarez said.
Andrew Zarian then took to Twitter to provide more information on the situation, noting how the current plan is to have Superstars switch between brands more frequently depending on storylines.
Spoke with WWE regarding the brand split this morning
WWE source stated that the brand split will not be ending.